HOT chats with Dr. Apratim Goel, CEO and Medical Director of Cutis Skin Studio on her advice for summer hair care … The skin expert shares some tips..
As summer approaches, it gets in a host of hair problems as well. Add to this the summery activities of swimming and beach holidays… and you’ve got reason to be stressed about your tresses… But, fear not… Dr. Apratim Goel will have you all set for a summer with healthy hair!
Summer hair care
What are the common summer hair problems?
An oily and greasy scalp, dry frizzy hair, dandruff, split ends, hair loss, hair colour fading soon due to sunlight and dryness of hair due to chlorine in swimming pools, are some of the specific problems of the hair during the summers.
Can you share some general tips on protecting the hair during this season?
- Always use conditioner
- Shampoo daily with a mild shampoo to get rid of the grease and dust.
- Avoid too much heat while blow drying your hair.
- Trim your split ends
- For coloured hair- use shampoos which are meant exclusively for coloured hair.
- Cover your scalp with a scarf
- Style your hair in braids, buns and knots to prevent it from becoming frizzy.
- In case of oily scalp sprinkle talcum powder.
- Leave in conditioners should be applied at night to lock the moisture in hair.
- Daily application of hair serum will protect hair from harsh climate.
What care would you advice while swimming?
Take head bath after every swim, and use a shampoo according to hair type. Shampoos containing ethylene tetra acetic acid are good to avoid damage due to chlorine in water. Don’t forget to use conditioner after a head bath. Do remember, that sometimes hair can turn green due to chlorine.
A view on oiling hair in summers?
Oiling once a week can be recommended in summers but people who have tendency to form dandruff in hair should avoid oiling overnight as it will increase the dandruff thus leading to hair fall. Also, oiling needs extra shampoo that in turn dries the hair and scalp!
Summer hair foods?
Avocado, spinach, eggs, watermelons, walnuts and sweet lime juice are foods for good hair in summer!
Summer hair care needs time and investment. Of course, while these tips will hold you in good stead, don’t forget that you can also benefit from a host of great hair treatments especially for the summer! But…more on them later. Watch this space!