An inspiration from the historical Radiomir watches, Panerai will be launching two new special edition timepieces at the SIHH 2017 in January.
In the late 1930s, Panerai made a number of Radiomir watches with a special 12-sided bezel, engraved with the words “OFFICINE PANERAI – BREVETTATO”. This inscription referred to the patented luminous substance Radiomir used on the dial,suggesting that the watches were used not for military operations but for presenting to the authorities of the Royal Italian Navy, which was evaluating new instruments for underwater missions. The new Radiomir 3 Days Acciaio models reproduce the fundamental characteristics of these vintage watches, while giving collectors an opportunity to appreciate a fascinating chapter in the Panerai story.
- The first vintage detail of the new Panerai Radiomir 3 Days Acciaio watches is the 12-sided bezel in brushed steel, with smoothed, polished angles and the same engraving as the historic models, using the lettering of the time.
- The 47-mm stainless steel case is the same size as that of vintage Panerai watches, and is water-resistant to 30 metres. The wire loop strap attachments are removable, making strap replacement easy. The strap is made of untreated brown leather and finished with ecru-coloured contrast stitching. It can be fastened on to the wrist with a large single-pronged steel buckle.
- A nod to history, the dial is remarkably simple and minimalist. Its sandwich structure maximises the legibility of the large figures and markers. Two dials are available: the black dial on the model PAM00685 replicates the colour of the vintage model, and the shaded brown one on model PAM00687 is a fresh new colour in the Panerai collections.
- On the back of the case, a large porthole with its sapphire window reveals Panerai’s in-house, hand-wound P.3000 mechanical movement. The calibre measures 16½ lignes – a size typical of the period models – and it has large, brushed-finish bridges covering the greater part of the wheelwork, a large balance wheel 13.2 mm in diameter and two spring barrels, which provide a power reserve of three days.
- Both Panerai Radiomir 3 Days Acciaio models come in elegant wooden boxes. The watch is presented in an additional Plexiglas® crystal, the certificate personalised with the watch’s serial number, and a rare publication describing the military equipment of the Royal Italian Navy, in which Panerai watches and instruments appear.
The prices for the watches will be announced at SIHH 2017.